- Liz Ortiz
Blessings in Disguise
One day while homeschooling, I was quizzing my nephew on the different programs the government has. I looked down at the paper and saw “Peace Corps.” I asked DJ to explain what the Peace Corps does. He gave his answer, and then I asked, “Did you know that Aunt Lizzy almost joined the Peace Corps?” DJ looked up, “Really?”
Instantly, I was brought back in my mind to sitting in my college apartment. I had applied to the Peace Corps and had gone through several interviews, feeling like this would help prepare me for missions work. The program I was pursuing within the Peace Corps had three openings. Five of us were asked to take part in the final interview. I felt I had done well with the process, and I was confident that would get in. So, when I sat down at my computer to check my email and saw that I had a new message from the Peace Corps, I quickly clicked on it with excitement. My confidence, along with my hopes and dreams, popped like a soap bubble. I was not accepted into the Peace Corps. I remember feeling discouraged and upset. What was I going to do now when I graduated from college? Looking back, I am thankful that it didn’t work out with the Peace Corps. If I had been accepted, I may never have gone to Togo. I never would have met Jonas. The rejection hurt, but it was a blessing in disguise. I am grateful for the path the Lord has me on. His plans are perfect.
I have been leading DJ and Ani through a 10-week kid discipleship series called, “The Way to Joy.” This month we completed the series! Throughout the study, Ani expressed how she wanted a big kid Bible. When we finished the book, we had a mini celebration. I gave both the kids a gift for finishing. Ani was excited to open her gift to find her very own “big kid” Bible. She had the biggest smile that brought my heart great joy. It had been wonderful to watch the kids grow in their faith over the course of this study. They both are excited to continue to study God’s Word and treasure it in their hearts.
This month I attended an event at ABWE called “Bible Storying.” At this event I learned how to better craft my storytelling skills to tell the stories of the Bible. It was a fun training! What was especially interesting to me was that most of the participants in the class weren’t other ABWE missionaries. It was mostly Sunday school or children’s ministry workers, from all over the country, who wanted to be more effective in their Bible storytelling. In fact, there was even one mom who came with her teenage children to learn. What a cool opportunity for the local church!
Homeschool is about to wrap up for me in the next 2 weeks. However, things are not going to slow down! I have lots of travel over this summer to various ABWE training events and a trip back to Michigan. Please be praying for safe travels and lots of God-ordained opportunities to grow spiritually and to be a blessing to others.
● June 11th-12th 24-Hour Demo
● June 14th – July 5th Back in Michigan
● July 8th- 9th on panel during New Missionary Orientation
● July 12th-13th photographing Board Meeting
● July 15th Recognition Service
● July 19th -23rd Essential Missions Components
Thank you for your encouragement and prayers through this journey. You have been blessing in my life. I’m excited for this path the Lord has me on and what He has in store.
● Pray for safety as I drive to Michigan on June 14th
● Pray that my car will do well with all these trips coming up.
● Pray for T that the Lord would open his eyes to the gospel.
● Pray that I will stay diligent with my "Methods of Bible Study" online course that I'm taking as part of ABWE's training
● Pray for health and safety for my family during the pandemic, especially for my dad because he is in the high-risk group.
● Pray for an ASL interpreter for Togo – big opportunity for one!
● Pray for more opportunities for me to practice signing.
● Pray for additional partners for my ministry.
● Praise God for 69% of my monthly support!
● Praise God for 77% of my one-expenses! (outfit and passage)
● Praise God that the discipleship series has wrapped up!
● Praise God that homeschooling is going well.
● Praise God that construction was started on a multi-media ministry building in Togo!
● Praise God that Jonas is doing well adjusting back to school and his host family.